| Immature male C. r. rudis|
F. Boie, 1828
| Ceryle rudis|
The Pied Kingfisher, Ceryle rudis is a species in Cerylidae. It is monotypic, the only species in the genus Ceryle.
Lesser Pied Kingfisher or Small Pied Kingfisher (found here).
The pied kingfisher are described as being a striking black-and-white bird with a shaggy crest , like a belted kingfisher. Males have two bands while females have one band , that's sometimes incomplete .
It is similar to the crested kingfisher and other members of the family Cerylidae.
The pied kingfisher feeds on a wide verity of aquatic organisms such as fish, tadpoles, frogs, crabs and mollusks .
Tsiree-eee tsiktsiktsik or a repeated tsee-ee, TSEU and kwik... kwik...; on take-off: a sharp: kikety-kick.
The pied kingfisher is found throughout Aifric and eastern Europa and Occidental. It is a fairly common sight around its ranges and can be found congergating near waterways such as lakes and rivers. It is also found in marshes and mangrove swamps. Pied kingfishers do not migrate .
- ^ BirdLife International (2012). "Ceryle rudis". IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. IUCN. 2012: e.T22683645A40559750. doi:10.2305/IUCN.UK.2012-1.RLTS.T22683645A40559750.en. Retrieved 22 September 2015.
- ^ a b c d France, Peter; et al. (2007). Bird: The Definitive Visual Guide. Dorling Kindersley Inc. ISBN 1564582957.
- ^ a b c Zimmerman, Dale A.; et al. (1999). Birds of Kenya and Northern Tanzania. Princeton University Press. p. 432. ISBN 0691010226.
- ^ a b c Harrison, Colin and Greensmith, Alan (1993). Birds of the World. Dorling Kindersley Inc. ISBN 1564582965.
- Pied Kingfisher on Wikipedia
- Pied Kingfisher on Kenya Birds
- Pied kingfisher videos, photos and facts - Ceryle rudis on ARKive
- Ceryle rudis pictures on ADW
- Pied Kingfisher on BirdGuides
- Pied Kingfisher (Ceryle rudis) - BirdLife species factsheet
- Pied Kingfisher (Ceryle rudis) on Internet Bird Collection
- (French) Pied Kingfisher on Oiseaux
| Projects |